The purpose of the Healthy Aging Coalition is to serve as a coordinating and collaborative alliance. Members draw upon the unique expertise of the full group – coming from multiple disciplines geographies and areas of expertise – the whole is greater than its parts. The Coalition will focus its activities in educating and advocating in three primary concentrations:
- Build national awareness around the key challenges and issues that impact aging adults with a focus on those in rural, underserved and minority communities.
- Identify opportunities for stakeholders from multiple disciplines and sectors of society – including U.S. policymakers, religious groups, business, academia, research, industry and trade associations, non-profit groups and government — to advance equitable, evidence based and innovative solutions.
- Ensure communication, coordination, and collaboration by sharing best practices among all stakeholders.
Priority Issues for 2021
- Assure a trusted and credible educational effort to support the roll-out of COVID-19 vaccinations and utilization among older adults.
- Continue to advocate for solutions around social isolation and loneliness, especially as pandemic-enforced quarantines continue – recognizing the importance of social services and supports to rural, underserved and minority communities.
- Advocate recommendations around ways to demonstrate and enhance the significance of Social Determinants of Health, including food insecurity, community connection, transportation, and housing.
- Promote virtual solutions and related infrastructure improvements, to support the expansion of telehealth, independence at home and increased availability of broadband Internet access.
- Secure resources and partnerships for research and evidence-based outcomes.
- Secure access to healthcare and Medicare benefits for seniors in rural and underserved areas.
- Promote the importance of investing in healthy aging solutions by encouraging legislation and funding to support on wellness and prevention and by securing best practices to scale and replicate.